Pipelines (Basic): Create & View
This page is for TaxDome Pro users only. Upgrade at any time!
Our pipelines are not only an easy visual tool but also fully customizable to your firm’s needs. Once you automate them, jobs move from stage to stage, automatically creating tasks and sending emails, contracts and organizers to clients at just the right time! Read on to find out more.
- Creating Pipelines
- Viewing Pipelines
- Viewing Automations in Pipelines
- Editing Pipelines
- Duplicating Pipelines
- Using Pipelines From Our Library
- Deleting Pipelines
- Adding Jobs
- Viewing Accounts Added to Pipelines
A pipeline is an established work procedure—a sequence of steps, or stages, involved in, say, preparing a 1040 form from beginning to end.
Our pipelines are designed to look like a kanban board. Jobs, displayed on cards, move from stage to stage on the board. And once automated, pipelines do much of the work for you!
What happens inside a pipeline:
- Jobs, the individual projects a client pays you for (such as a tax return or a January payroll), are introduced to a pipeline specifically designed for it. Each job, linked to a client account, moves through the pipeline from first to last stage, or completion.
- Stages are the steps in an overall work procedure. Once all the work involved in a stage is completed, a job moves to the next stage.
- Automations, the mechanisms that automate a pipeline, make things happen on their own. Once triggered, they create tasks for team members or send organizers and contracts to clients, for example.
Two pipeline examples:
Pipeline 1: 1040 Return
Job 1: 2015 Tax Return
Job 2: 2016 Tax Return
Job 3: 2017 Tax Return
Stage 1: Review Docs
Stage 2: Prepare Engagement Letter
Stage 3: Prepare Return
Stage 4: Review
Stage 5: E-file
Pipeline 2: Payroll
Job 1: 2015 January Payroll
Job 2: 2016 February Payroll
Job 3: 2017 March Payroll
Stage 1: Review Docs
Stage 2: Review Timecards
Stage 3: Initiate Debit
Stage 4: Send Paystubs
A firm owner, admin or any team member with access rights to manage pipelines can create a pipeline.
From Settings or Workflow, go to Pipelines, then click Create Pipeline.
Below, see the instructions for each numbered field:
1. Pipeline Name: Enter a name for the pipeline; what you’ll see in the Workflow section.
2. Available to: Select the team members who need access to it. If you leave this empty, only the person creating the pipeline and the firm owner see it the Workflow section. For more details, go here.
3. Sort accounts jobs in stages by: Decide how you want jobs to be sorted in the stages. By default, they’re sorted by account name, but you can also sort them by amount of time in a stage, due date, date a job was created, or priority.
4. Default job template: Decide whether a template should be applied to jobs entering the pipeline and how (automatically or manually).
5. Job card fields: Decide what you want to see displayed on job cards.
6. Recurrence: Schedule jobs that repeat to be automatically created inside the pipeline. For more details, go here.
7. Stage Name: Enter the name for the first stage.
8. Add Stage: Add as many stages as needed and link automations to them.
9. Add Automations. Link as many automations to stages as needed. Once a job moves to a new stage containing automations, those actions are automatically triggered one by one, in the given order. For example, a task is created; an organizer generated; or an email sent. For more about automations, go here.
10. Save: Save the pipeline. Once you have a pipeline, navigate to the Workflow section, then begin adding jobs to it for your client accounts.
View pipelines either for a single client account or for all accounts:
- For one client account: From the left sidebar, go to Clients, click on the account name, then select Workflow in the menu bar. You’ll see all the pipelines with jobs for that client account and the progress made. Once a job is completed and archived or deleted, it’s no longer visible.
- For all client accounts: Go to Workflow from the left sidebar, then select the pipeline. To go to another pipeline, use the drop-down menu.
By default, the pipeline list displays 25 pipelines per page. Select the number to be displayed in the Rows per page menu at the bottom left of the page. To sort the list of pipelines by name or number of accounts, click the up-down arrow next to the column header of the list.
A firm owner, admin or team member with access rights to manage pipelines can edit a pipeline.
- From the pipeline, click Edit on the top right of the page or click the automation icon below a stage name, then click the Add automation link.
- From the pipeline templates list, go to Settings from the left sidebar, select Pipelines, then click on the pipeline’s name.
- From the pipeline list, go to Workflow from the left sidebar, click the three dots to the far right of the pipeline’s name, then select Edit.
Once you are in the edit window, you can change the pipeline settings (see above for the details) and make changes to the stages:
- To add a stage, click Add stage or the + button, then enter the name of the stage.
- To move a stage, point to the move icon to the left of the stage’s name, then drag-and-drop it.
- To delete a stage, click on the trash can icon to the right of the stage’s name.
- To add automations to a stage, select the stage, then click on the Add automations button or the Edit automations if you already have one.
- If you want additional emails to be sent to clients when they don’t respond within a certain time frame, locate Reminders below the automation template, then select Enable in the drop-down. For more on reminders, go here.
When you're done, click SAVE.
To create new pipelines based on existing ones, go to Settings from the left sidebar, select Pipelines, click the three dots to the far right of the pipeline’s name, then click Duplicate. The pipeline’s copy is saved with a suffix (e.g., 1040 Return (2)). Stages, automations and other template settings are copied as well. However, you’ll need to manually add jobs to a newly duplicated pipeline.
Using Pipelines From Our Library
TaxDome offers ready-made pipeline templates to get you started. They can be easily edited.
Tip: When you copy a pipeline from our library, you also get all the premade templates with automations that are inside it. For more details, go here.
To add a pipeline from our library:
1. Go to Settings from the left sidebar, click Pipelines, then COPY FROM LIBRARY.
2. Click the copy icon to the right of the template you want to use. Stages, automations and other template settings are copied as well. Now you can edit the pipeline by clicking its name; you’ll need to manually add jobs.
Thanks to our clients, we’re constantly adding new templates to our library. Would you like to share some of your pipeline templates with other TaxDome users? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
To delete a pipeline, go to Settings, select Pipelines, click the three dots to the far right of the pipeline, select Delete, then click DELETE to confirm.
Note: This deletes all jobs linked to the pipeline.
Viewing Accounts Added to Pipelines
To find out which accounts have been added to a specific pipeline or to a stage in a pipeline:
- Go to the Clients or Jobs page of the Workflow section, then click on the FILTER button.
- Select a pipeline name in the Pipelines section, select the stage, then click APPLY. Select several pipelines and stages if needed.
You’ll then see a list of all client accounts that were added to the selected pipeline and/or stage.